Frantz Hingelberg began the production of independent, artistically designed jewelry in Arhus, Denmark in 1897. But it was not until 1928 when Svend Weihrauch (1899 – 1962) joined the company as artistic director and workshop manager that the company took off. Weihrach was a designer and silversmith and joined Hingelberg after working with Georg Jensen for a number of years. From 1930 onwards he was the sole supplier of designs to this workshop.
The hollowware of his early years at Hingelberg’s employed a stringency of shape while also embracing the decorative elements of the Art Deco style. In the more geometrical shapes that he produced in the period 1931 to 1932, the overall aesthetic effect was more the result of the technical processes concerned. The smooth surface revealed that spinning had been used, while a distinct separation of the individual components of each piece both emphasised the different functions of the particular parts and also made it possible to achieve designs with a composition distinguished by contrasting elements. Weihrauch also developed new methods of attaching the insulation material, demonstrating at the same time the interconnection of of the materials in question, in a way that also proved extremely decorative.